Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: 16
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Western Communications staff seek to enhance, promote and protect the reputation of the university.
The Web Manager will provide leadership and direction in planning, developing, and executing various web-based communication efforts and web marketing activities to help Western Communications achieve its goals, as well as those of our partner academic, research and administrative leaders and their units. This includes conceptualizing and producing creative web solutions, and providing advisory services in market research, information architecture, web project management, data analytics, usability, web design and development. The role will ensure appealing and impactful designs are developed that fit with each portfolio’s goals, and with the University’s marketing and branding strategies and guidelines.
In consultation with the Creative Director, the role manages the design, development, execution and assessment of innovative, strategic web plans and communications for all centrally-driven web projects that support Western’s goals, its mission and values. At the core of every project is improving the overall user experience for Western’s vast audience groups, which is increasingly critical in this digital age. The Manager will also manage two direct reports within the Strategic Brand and Marketing division, ensuring web content is consistent and aligned with Western’s brand standards.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information and Media Studies, Communications or related degree
- Master’s degree in Communications, Computer Science, Information and Media Studies, or related discipline is preferred
- Certificate in Project Management is preferred
- 5 years’ experience in web application development or related field
- Experience and proven track record of leading a high-performing web team
- 3 years' experience managing complex web projects in a complex environment
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Working knowledge with content management systems (e.g. Cascade, WordPress and Convio)
- Strong project management skills and a high comfort level with teamwork and managing effective teams
- Proven ability to plan, organize, and manage the work of staff, and to initiate and complete complex projects on time
- Ability to provide guidance, support and feedback in a way that is positively received
- Proven ability to be a strategic thinker with strong initiative and independence
- Strong understanding of interface design and visual design principles for web applications, sites, and systems, including translating user research findings into functional requirements and developing functional specifications
- In-depth expertise with research methodologies, including A/B testing, contextual inquiry, interviewing and observation, usability testing, focus groups, surveys, expert evaluation, or web data analytics (e.g., conversion analysis)
- Knowledge of and skill with user-centered design methods and expertise in multiple design tools (e.g. Axure, XD, InVision, Sketch, Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, written, and listening skills with an ability to interpret complex requirements, communicate with leaders, clients and peers, and work collaboratively and strategically within a diverse environment
- Knowledge and expertise with Google Analytics, Google Search console, and Google Tag Manager
- Ability to analyze digital data and use it to develop creative web solutions
- Effective time management skills with an ability to deliver consistently high-quality work, even in the face of changing priorities
- Ability to take initiative and work collaboratively in a team environment with administrative staff, senior leaders, faculty, alumni, students and volunteers
- In-depth knowledge and skill with social media tools: Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Instagram, YouTube, etc.
- Comprehensive understanding of the W3C, WCAG, AODA, including a detailed understanding of browser compatibility, responsive design and issues for audiences with significant challenges
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.