Title: Intern - Digital Marketing (Communications)
File Number: 630
Service Area: City Manager's Office
Division: Strategic Communications
Position Type: Full Time - Short Term Temporary (under 1 year)
Employee Group: Local 101
Job Close Date: 06 DEC 2023
Summary of Duties:
Reporting to the Manager, Strategic Communications, the Digital Marketing Intern will assist in the creation, planning, and evaluation of digital marketing campaigns to maximize the impact and success of the City of London's online engagement efforts. In addition, this Digital Marketing Intern will collaborate with members of the Strategic Communications division to create, assess, and recommend content improvements for london.ca, Get Involved London, and the City of London’s social media platforms.
The Digital Marketing Intern will assume the following duties:
- Maintain, update, and create content for external communications platforms (london.ca, Get Involved London, Our City newsletter, City of London social media channels).
- Write content for communications materials in a variety of formats, including website updates, organic and paid social media posts, Google Ads, and newsletters within set timeframes.
- Collaborate with members of the Strategic Communications division to develop scripts and create video content for Instagram Reels, Facebook Reels, and YouTube videos.
- Research social media best practices and make recommendations to the Strategic Communications division to improve engagement.
- Collaborate with the Strategic Communications division to assess and recommend content improvements for london.ca and Get Involved London.
- Conduct SEO research and optimization to enhance search engine visibility to london.ca and Get Involved London.
- Liaise and develop positive, productive relationships with City staff, community partners, local organizations, and third-party vendors.
- Engage with our online community, responding to comments, questions, and private messages in a manner that fosters a positive community and reflects the City of London’s voice.
- Champion the City of London’s brand, ensuring consistency in tone, aesthetic, and values.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- A university degree or college diploma in communications, public relations, marketing, or a similar field of study.
Eligibility under the City of London Internship Program as follows (see below):
MUST MEET CRITERIA AS EITHER A NEW IMMIGRANT, PERSON WITH A SELF-DECLARED DISABILITY, INDIGENOUS PERSON, RACIALIZED PERSON/VISIBLE MINORITY, OR A RECENT LOCAL POST-SECONDARY GRADUATE.
- Persons who have gained permanent residency status and/or naturalized citizenship status; having arrived in Canada 0 – 5 years.
- Graduate of a recognized post-secondary education institute with Canadian equivalency
- English benchmark level 6 or above
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
Person with a self-declared disability which poses employment barriers:
- Persons who identify as having one or more disabilities. City of London follows the definition of Disability as allowed under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
- Person who identify as Aboriginal, First Nations, Metis, Inuit, and/or Indian.
Racialized Persons/Visible Minorities:
- Persons, other than Indigenous persons, who are non-Caucasian in race. Also persons who have racial meanings attributed to them as a group in ways that negatively impacts their work and social life.
Recent local post-secondary graduate:
- City of London residents currently residing or having left London within the last year ONLY and who have graduated from a recognized postsecondary institution.
Limited work experience in their chosen field
Skills and Abilities:
- Exceptional oral communication, writing, analytical, project management, time management and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of web analytics tools and SEO best practices.
- Proven ability to create and analyze content for social media with emphasis on Instagram, Facebook, and X (Twitter).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- A passion for learning and sharing the latest best practices and trends in communications and digital content.
- Strong technical skills paired with the ability to learn and navigate new digital platforms quickly and effectively.
- The ability to work independently and with large teams.
Compensation & Other Information:
This posting is for one (1) temporary, full-time up to 15 weeks position.
Current hours of Work: Monday - Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Work Arrangement: Hybrid, in office and working from home
These hours of work are subject to change in accordance with the Collective Agreement and may include evening hours and Saturdays.
NOTE: Applicants may be required to complete a job related test.
Requisition Number: 630
Services Area: City Manager's Office
Division: Strategic Communications
Employee Group: CUPE Local 101
Employment Type: Temporary up to 15 weeks
As an inclusive employer, we are committed to providing a fully accessible recruitment process. Please contact us at any time during the recruitment process and let us know what accessible supports you may need.
Learn more and Apply