Front End Developer
Northern delivers Omni-Channel Commerce Solutions, designed and developed with the latest open source technology. We specialize in building Magento, Shopify and BigCommerce eCommerce implementations and full service eCommerce marketing solutions. Our goal is to help businesses reap the benefits of web-based technologies to decrease costs and maximize their bottom line.
We are currently seeking a talented and motivated Developer who is passionate about web development and eCommerce to join our team located in London, ON. As a Developer at Northern, you will have the opportunity to work with a collaborative team of highly skilled developers.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Responsible for understanding the importance of web performance, conversion rates, and user experience.
- Responsible for semantic markup and scalable, optimized, and maintainable front end architecture.
- Knowledge of accessibility standards including WCAG 2.0 (A/AA), AODA, SEO, and cross browser and device testing solutions.
- Awareness of the most established libraries, their ecosystems and how to use them in projects.
- Production of clean, structured, documented, efficient, error-free, and concise code.
- Responsible for the full understanding of task requests and providing the best solutions based on both client and company needs, as well as overall development goals.
- Effectively communicate and prioritize needs, resolve conflicts, and develop the best possible solutions within the budget and timeline constraints provided.
- Participate in peer code review and provide constructive feedback and support to peer developers.
- Responsible for seeking feedback from subject matter experts during planning, development, and code review, including peer developers and development directors.
- Responsible for using and understanding modern development tools including, but not limited to: PhpStorm, git, Gitlab CI, Sass, NodeJS, npm, Yarn, Gulp, etc.
- Accurately track time spent on tasks through the use of detailed time log descriptions.
- Responsible for communicating risks, issues, or potential problems and escalating to the appropriate stakeholders, regardless of the size or scope of the issue at hand.
- Accountability - Ability to take ownership and responsibility for project tasks/outcomes. This includes the quality, quantity, resource management, and timeliness of all work. Ability to follow policies and procedures to complete tasks correctly and within budget, as well as self-manage project tasks and proactively question any issues, concerns, methods, etc.
- Communication - Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and effective manner both verbally and in writing. Ability to convey ideas, thoughts, issues and information to other team members effectively.
- Flexibility - Acceptance and openness to change. Ability to accept, communicate, and provide constructive feedback to others.
- Integrity - Ability to maintain honesty and integrity in the workplace; including representing the company through off site meetings, conferences, activities, etc.
- Organization - Ability to be organized, detail oriented, and effectively manage many concurrent activities at a given time.
- Problem Solving - Ability to anticipate, identify, and systematically analyze problems and opportunities in a timely and efficient manner. Strong initiative to design, document, and implement complex solutions.
- Quality Management - Ability to follow industry best practices and the highest programming standards. Ability to implement efficient, well-documented, and structured technical solutions.
- Self-motivation - Ability to self-improve on an ongoing basis; facilitate self-learning and teaching other team members. Interest in emerging technologies and their impact on our business strategies, practices, and methods.
- Team Participation - Ability to recognize and encourage the contribution of others, while working together to achieve project timelines and accomplish project goals. Ability to support the team vision, make decisions, and resolve team conflicts if necessary.
- Time Management - Ability to use time appropriately; including meeting deadlines, establishing priorities, analyzing alternatives, and taking action. Strategically allocate and self-manage resources effectively. Ability to begin the work day on time, including but not limited to meetings, phone conversations, appointments, etc.
- Working Relationships - Ability to take a cooperative team approach when completing work; employ flexibility and maintain a positive and constructive attitude towards all team and project members, shareholders, clients, etc. Ability to demonstrate good relations with all employees, peers, and supervisors.
At Northern we recognize that experience comes in many different forms. If your experience is similar to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. We know that the best problem-solving and creative thinkers are those with thought diversity; that’s why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to our team.
A College diploma, University degree, or relevant job-related experience. We welcome highly experienced, self-taught, and self-motivated learners who express a strong passion for development.
Experience working with several of the following technologies is preferred;
- Advanced HTML5 and CSS3 knowledge
- LAMP, LNMP Stacks (Linux(Ubuntu), Apache/Nginx, MySQL, PHP)
- Git Source Control and best practices
- PHP 5/7, OOP, MVC, XML/XSLT, REST
- MySQL databases, data modeling/design technique and database tuning
- PHP Frameworks: Zend, Symfony
- Front-end Build Tools: yarn, sass, gulp, webpack, babel, etc
- Front-end Frameworks: Bootstrap, Foundation
- Magento development, administration, application performance optimization, and caching using redis and varnish
- Shopify development (liquid and theme kit) and app development
- BigCommerce development (stencil) and app development
- Wordpress development
- Other web languages, such as Java, Python, C++, Ruby, etc.
- Cloud Providers: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Azure
In exchange for your talent and expertise, Northern is committed to providing competitive compensation, health benefits, flexible work schedules, delicious meals, company retreats, opportunities for growth and professional development, and a fun, supportive environment that will allow you to be your best!
Equity and Diversity
Northern invites applications from all qualified individuals. Northern is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from all individuals, including but not limited to members of visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require any accommodations please let us know when you apply.