Writer / Jr. Editor - DIY/Design/Repair
Are you a whiz at writing and never back down from home repair challenges?
Bring your approximate 2 years of writing experience to the largest network of social properties around the globe – Diply.
We are a leading digital publisher with 130M fans across Lifestyle, Entertainment, DIY and Crafts, Parenting, Human Interest, and Trending News categories, and we're always looking for new ways to engage those fans with creative, engaging, and relevant content.
We are constantly growing, and are branching out again with an all-new content offering: Makey.
This new site will be an educational community for people who are curious and passionate about DIY, repair, and décor projects around the home. We are seeking a full-time writer with junior editing abilities to help us create engaging and informative how-to content for readers seeking out the internet’s most authoritative tutorials on how to tackle everyday home repairs.
This is the right role for you if you…
- Embrace the challenge of quickly producing high quality articles, from concept to completion, that are engaging, informative, and have a little bit of humour.
- Know how to transform bare-bones information into copy that both informs and delights our audience
- Can flex to write on a wide range of home reno and repair topics, from how to install your own stick-on backsplash to a five-step guide to fixing your leaky faucet (bonus points if you’re a DIY-er, maker, home décor enthusiast, or the fixer-upper of your crew)
- Thrive in a very fast-paced environment where you have to balance many tasks, topics, priorities, and deadlines all at once
- Tune into internet trends for DIY, repair, and home projects, totally aware of what’s happening in the viral space the day it happens and ready to flex or pivot when necessary
- Have a sharp eye for copy editing and an ability to self-edit, ensuring that our articles are polished, factually correct, and sourced appropriately
- Are comfortable working independently with a sprinkle of collaboration for idea generation and can set daily, weekly, and monthly goals
- Love being part of a tight-knit community of like-minded individuals always ready to lend a hand
- Are totally open to feedback and redirection on your writing, embracing the opportunity to learn, master your craft, and produce the best product
- Have ever engaged in a heated debate on the use of nails vs. screws (or other similar matters).
About this role…
The Makey Writer + Jr. Editor, Repair develops written articles based on the content pipeline assigned by the Managing Editor. The role takes auto-generated content and reworks it to be useful guides, how-to’s, and content for the fixer-upper, do-it-yourselfer, and repair community. Since this is a new content offering, we expect that this role will evolve over time - this is perfect for the go-getter who wants to be part of building something from the ground up.
* this role does not require more than 2 years of direct experience, so if you are more experienced/senior, then this isn’t the right role for you.
** Diply has offices in both Toronto and London (ON), and our preference is to hire for either of these regions (or close to them).
If you are interested, please complete the questions and include both a copy of your resume and a cover letter that includes a hilarious personal story that will resonate with us hard.
Candidates without cover letters will not be considered.
We are committed to employment equity and encourage all people, including women, visible minorities, persons with disabilities and persons of aboriginal decent to apply. Upon your request, we provide accommodation for disabilities during the recruitment and selection process. If you request accommodation, HR will reach out to consult with you so that we can tailor our arrangements to suit your needs. In addition, all new employees are advised of our policies for accommodating employees with disabilities.
Apply for this job