Web Developer (Entry Level)
Northern is North America’s leading digital experience agency. We unite creativity, technology and performance marketing to create immersive digital experiences for leading brands in their pursuit of digital transformation. We have strategically assembled a group of innovators, who have a passion for technology, design and improving online experiences.
Our team is made up of individuals who are dedicated to making a difference in the digital landscape. Our experts have specialized knowledge and expertise in building websites that stand out from the rest, both in look and in functionality. Our full-service solutions means we are committed to a project from the beginning stages of planning and development to the stages of strategic promotion and marketing.
What We’re Looking For
We are currently seeking a talented and motivated Web Developer who is passionate about web development to join our team. As an entry level Web Developer at Northern, you will have the opportunity to work with a collaborative team of highly skilled developers. Your growth will be encouraged and supported as you work with a collaborative and growing team of developers who are passionate about producing clean and concise code.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Production of clean, structured, documented, efficient, error-free, and concise code.
- Responsible for the full understanding of task requests and providing the best solutions based on both client and company needs, as well as overall development goals.
- Effectively communicate and prioritize needs, resolve conflicts, and develop the best possible solutions within the budget and timeline constraints provided.
- Participate in peer code review and provide constructive feedback and support to peer developers.
- Responsible for seeking feedback from subject matter experts during planning, development, and code review, including peer developers and development directors.
- Responsible for using and understanding modern development tools including, but not limited to: PhpStorm, git, Gitlab CI, Sass, NodeJS, npm, Yarn, Gulp, etc.
- Accurately track time spent on tasks through the use of detailed time log descriptions.
- Communicate risks, issues, or potential problems and escalate to the appropriate stakeholder, regardless of the size or scope of the issue at hand.
Knowledge, Education, & Experience Required
- A College diploma, University degree, or relevant job-related experience. We welcome highly experienced, self-taught, and self-motivated learners who express a strong passion for web development
- Ability to use Bootstrap and/or Foundation, as well as LESS and/or Sass
- Experience with LAMP and LNMP Development Stack (Linux(Ubuntu), Apache/Nginx, MySQL, PHP)
- Experience with Git Source Control and best practices
- Experience with PHP 5/7, OOP, MVC, XML/XSLT, REST
- Experience with MySQL databases, data modeling/design technique and database tuning
- Knowledge of any additional languages, such as Java, Python, C++, Ruby, etc.
At Northern we recognize that experience comes in many different forms. If your experience is similar to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. We know that the best problem-solving and creative thinkers are those with thought diversity; that’s why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to our team.
In exchange for your talent and expertise, Northern is committed to providing competitive compensation, health benefits, flexible work schedules, delicious meals, company retreats, opportunities for growth and professional development, and a fun, supportive environment that will allow you to be your best!
Equity and Diversity
Northern invites applications from all qualified individuals. Northern is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from all individuals, including but not limited to members of visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require any accommodations please let us know when you apply.
Apply To Position