Lead Scala Developer
IHS Markit's Financial Risk Analytics team is looking for two experienced Scala developers to build state of the art financial analytics software using a Hadoop/Spark platform. Working with a diverse and global team of quantitative analysts and software developers the successful candidate will be working at the cutting edge of software and financial engineering.
IHS Markit is currently investing in their technology and data platforms to develop a number of new revenue generating products, leveraging open source and big data technologies. These include new data integration, advanced analytics, visualization, aggregation and smart data initiatives that address new customer needs and are highly visible and strategic within the organisation.
These initiatives are using best of breed technologies, such as Hadoop, Spark, HDFS, Kafka, SOLR, Cassandra and AWS along with in-house developed technologies, and the successful candidate will be working in a fast paced, dynamic team environment, building commercial products which are at the heart of the business.
The successful candidate will be part of IHS Markit's Financial Risk Analytics team, a global team of financial analytics experts and software developers building advanced analytics solutions for the financial industry. He/she will use the aforementioned technologies to build state of the art software and data analytics used for trading and risk management at leading global financial institutions.
- Design and implement “Big Data” infrastructure for batch and real-time analytics.
- Ensure highly interactive response times. Avoid allowing performance bottlenecks to creep into the system.
- Interpret and analyze business use-cases and feature requests into technical designs and development tasks.
- Be an active player in system architecture and design discussions.
- Take ownership of development tasks, participate in regular design and code review meetings.
- Be proud of the high quality of your own work.
- Work with a number of teams (in multiple worldwide locations).
- Always follow quality standards (unit tests, integration tests and documented code).
- Be delivery focused, have a passion for technology and will enjoy offering new ideas and approaches.
What We're Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, or a related discipline, or equivalent experience.
- 7+ years of experience in software development
- At least 2 years of experience in software development with Scala
- Distributed file systems/databases/systems
- Linux/Unix engineering skills
- Knowledge of algorithms, data structures, computational complexity.
- You can effectively provide technical direction, and estimates to fulfill a set of requirements.
- You can effectively manage timelines and cross team coordination.
- You can follow relevant technology trends, actively evaluate new technologies, and use this information to improve the product.
- You get a lot of satisfaction from on-time delivery.
- You love to solve complex problems, whether that's making the user experience as responsive as possible or understanding complex client requirements.
- You can confidently present your own ideas and solutions, as well as guide technical discussions.
- Your welcoming attitude encourages people to approach you when they have a problem you can help them solve.
- Hadoop, HDFS, YARN, Spark, Hbase, Kafka
- AWS: EC2, EMR, S3
- Experience financial risk management or financial services industry
- Apache Zeppelin
Equal Opportunity Employer:
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other status protected by law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
US Candidates Only:
The EEO is the Law Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.